In 2013-14, Fort Concho made three purchases of Grierson family letters from Frohne’s Historic Military, a dealer in historic documents and photographs, after a staff member found a letter from Alice Dunbar listed on eBay. The purchase of that single letter led to his offer of the collections.
The letters range in date from 1833 to 1885, with the good deal of them dealing with the time the family was at Fort Concho. The letters add greatly to our understanding of life at Fort Concho. They confirm ideas we had about fort life gleaned from other sources through the details that Alice includes in her letters to Charles kept him connected to the family and work well to keep us informed of fort life as well. She tells of weddings, deaths, hunts, parties, “ranking outs,” illnesses, children, and many other aspects of life at the fort for the commander’s wife.
A few letters…
- A letter to Edith from her friend Katie- May 20, 1877
- A letter to Charlie from Alice- August 22,1878
- A letter to Charlie from Alice- February 2, 1879
- A letter to Charlie from Alice- February 20, 1879
- A letter to Charlie from Alice- February 24, 1879
- A letter to Alice from her sister Ellen- February 1, 1884
- A letter to Alice from her son Harry- June 5, 1887
- A letter to Alice from her sister Ellen- January 22, 1888