Officers lived a life far removed from the Enlisted Men. With separate quarters for each officer and their families, the south side of the fort was designated as “Officers’ Row.” However, construction of the Officers’ Quarters did not begin until 1868 and was not completed until 1877.
A total of ten separate buildings made up Officers’ Row, and are now used for various Museum functions.
Officers’ Quarters 1 currently is used as an apartment for visiting dignitaries and is not open to the public. However, this building may be rented for over-night lodging..
From 1889 until 1968 when it was acquired by the Fort Museum, Officers’ Quarters 3 (OQ3) was occupied as a private dwelling, divided into three apartments. OQ 3 is currently furnished to represent a typical officers' quarters during the fort period.
Officers’ Quarters 4 today houses the Museum of Telephony which exhibits the history of the telephone industry. (Open by special request only. Please ask for a tour at the Visitors Center.)
Officers' Quarters 5 was acquired by a private citizen after the fort was abandoned. The City of San Angelo bought the house in 1971. By 1980, the structure was in a state of disrepair that could present a danger to the public. Accordingly, Quarters 5 was reduced to a ruin and stabilized.
The last remaining original tree from the Fort’s active military period can be found between OQ8 and OQ9.
Officers’ Quarters 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, and 9 are not included in the Museum’s Walking Tour.
Home │ Location/Admission │ Rentals │ Sutler Store │ Museum Board │ Museum Foundation │ Membership/Volunteers │ Contact Us│
Christmas at Old Fort Concho │ Special Exhibits │ Special Events │ Educational Programs │ Website Link Map │
FAQs-Museum │ FAQs-Fort │ FAQs-Christmas at Old Fort Concho