The Fort Concho Post Hospital was the largest and finest structure at the fort, completed in 1870.. The basic plan was comprised of a central two-story building with two rectangular ward wings on either side and a smaller rear wing projecting from the main building. A stately twelve foot perimeter gallery encompassing the building and a belvedere on top of the two story section contributed to the detail and interest of the structure. Ancillary stone structures, including the Dead House, Sinks (toilets), Wash Rooms, and a perimeter stone "buffalo wall" completed the compound.
Following the military abandonment in 1889, the Hospital became a rooming house and warehouse for hay. The deteriorated structure was struck by lightning and burned in 1911. In 1986-87, after extensive architectural and archaeological investigation, the hospital was rebuilt on its original site. The building is used by the Fort Concho Museum, Fort Concho Elementary School, and the Robert Woods Johnson Museum of Frontier Medicine
School House and Chapel
One of the last structures completed at the fort, the Chapel was begun in November of 1878 on the foundations of the kitchen wing of the proposed site of a double officers' quarters. When it was decided to halt the building of this unit, Chaplain Dunbar pleaded with the commanding officer to designate the structure as a school/chapel. In February of 1879, the structure was dedicated and described to be the "best furnished room in the post." The structure was used for a school, a chapel, and for social gatherings such as dances.
The School House and Chapel are used in the 1880 School Program. It is also used for a meeting space, weddings, and other special occasion gatherings.
Home │ Location/Admission │ Rentals │ Sutler Store │ Museum Board │ Museum Foundation │ Membership/Volunteers │ Contact Us│
Christmas at Old Fort Concho │ Special Exhibits │ Special Events │ Educational Programs │ Website Link Map │
FAQs-Museum │ FAQs-Fort │ FAQs-Christmas at Old Fort Concho